A Summary of Principal
Wednesday, 29 March '65:
- Engagement at the Lewis Farm near Gravelly
- Skirmish at junction of the Quaker and
- Skirmish on the Vaughan Road, near
Thursday, 30 March '65:
- Skirmishes on the line of Hatcher's Run
and Gravelly Run.
- Skirmish near Five Forks.
Friday, 31 March '65:
- Engagement at the White Oak Road, or White
- Action at Hatcher's Run, or Boydton Road.
Action at Crow's House.
- Engagement at Dinwiddle Courthouse.
Saturday, 1 April '65:
- Battle of Five Forks.
- Skirmish at White Oak Road.
Sunday, 2 April '65:
- Engagement at Sutherland's Station,
- Assault upon and capture of fortified
lines before Petersburg.
- Skirmish at Gravelly Ford on Hatcher's
- Action at Scott's Cross-Roads.
Monday, 3 April '65:
- Occupation of Richmond and Petersburg by
- Action at Namozine Church.
Tuesday, 4 April '65:
- Skirmish at Tabernacle Church, or Beaver
- Skirmishing at Amelia Courthouse begins
(will conclude on 5 April '65 at the A.N.V. marches away
from the town).
Wednesday, 5 April '65:
- Skirmish at Paine's Cross-Roads
- Engagement at Amelia Springs.
Thursday, 6 April '65:
- Action at High Bridge.
- Engagements of Sayler's Creek (Hillsman Farm - Ewell v.
Sixth Corps; Marshall's Cross Roads -
Anderson v. Merritt's Cavalry; and Lockett Farm
or Double Bridges - Gordon v. Second Corps)
- Engagement at Rice's Station.
Friday, 7 April '65:
- Engagement at High Bridge.
- Engagement at Farmville (Cumberland
- Skirmish at Prince Edward Courthouse.
Saturday, 8 April '65:
- Engagement at Appomattox Station
Sunday, 9 April '65:
- Engagement at Appomattox Courthouse.
- Surrender of Army of Northern Virginia.
Lee's Retreat Map in PDF
format - worth a look.
Return to the Federal Campaign Page for Sayler's Creek
Last updated 29 January 2000 at
background by Glyph Web Graphics